Another fiscal year has come and gone and another spending resolution deadline is looming. It seems like every year we go through the same exercise with the political class arguing and casting blame on each other over who is going to cause the latest, pending government shutdown.
Well guess what? It is largely inconsequential. The amount of federal spending that Congress actually controls is around 14% of the budget. So we are supposed to tie ourselves in knots over a minuscule part of the budget while the federal government continues its ever-expanding march into unconstitutional areas of American's lives. It's all an unnecessary distraction from the real problems that plague our nation and it is a distraction from Congress' abdication of most of their constitutional duties.
- Shock Report: 86% Of Government Spending Is Now On Autopilot - IBD
- Report: 86 Percent of Federal Spending Now on Autopilot - NewsMax
- GAO - Government-Wide Inventory of Accounts with Spending Authority and Permanent Appropriations, Fiscal Years 1995 to 2015
- “No Deal” – Government Shutdown Inevitable, Blamescaping Begins
- Everything you need to know about a government shutdown
- What closes when the government shuts down
- Government shutdown spreading pain as it takes hold in Minnesota
- Federal Government Shutdown: Impact on Food Safety May Compound Over Time
- Dana Carvey - Church Lady - "Isn't that special?"
Join the conversation at The Truth Quest Facebook Fan Page